Four

Posted on September 14, 2011 at: 2:51 pm  -  Comments

You may have noticed that I have been a little absent from writing lately. I was doing so well with my posts five days of the week and then slowly things started to decline.

In the beginning of June I suffered a personal loss. I had a miscarriage when I was 6 weeks pregnant. It was the day before my birthday and at the time I wasn’t ready to spread the news to the world. Not only was it physically painful, but more so emotionally painful and draining. I was very lucky to have family close and friends that helped me through it.

It was unexpected (obviously) and completely threw me for a loop. I was as 26 year old, healthy young woman. We had no problems with Harlan’s pregnancy {I actually got pregnant with Harlan on birth control.} We got pregnant as soon as we started trying, this was the last thing that I thought would happen.

Through the pain and emotional struggle, I was determined to try again. Four weeks after my MC I started to feel a little sick. I didn’t think anything of it and actually put off calling the doctor. My thought was that if I was pregnant, I’d rather not know right now just in case something were to happen.

After two weeks of throwing up almost every morning, I caved and made an appointment for my doctor. I couldn’t take the nausea any longer and needed to figure out what was going on. I still had not taken a home pregnancy test, but both MacKay and I knew in the back of our minds that I was pregnant.

Two days before our vacation to Hilton Head I anxiously waited in the doctors office waiting for some kind of news. The doctor came into the room confirming the news that I knew all along. I was pregnant. We did an ultrasound and saw the little one on the screen. I was just over 6 weeks along. I had gotten pregnant right after my MC. Blessed by God with another child.

With the constant fear of a MC looming over my head, I did not tell anyone that MacKay and I were expecting. Our family didn’t even know until I was through my first trimester.

Now at almost 15 weeks along I can finally announce that Harlan is going to be a big sister.

This pregnancy hasn’t been the easiest and has a haunting resemblance of my pregnancy with Harlan. I’ve been sick everyday since I was four weeks. The meds that helped with Harlan, aren’t helping with this one and I feel like I could get sick at any moment. Add the awful smelling streets of summer here in NYC and it is a recipe for morning sickness disaster.

I am still hoping that the morning sickness starts to subside, but for now, I am taking it day by day. Rest, bland food, and the toilet have been my best friend lately. ;)

But through all of this struggle, I am finding joy and excitement for our family. Because come early March, this family of three, will become a family of four.

P.S. I also wanted to share the video that was made by Clipik that we made to reveal the news to our families. The “surprise” is at the end of the video. It wouldn’t let me embed it in this post for some reason, so I’ve posted it on my FB page.

Categorized in: ,

This post was written by Lauren

Comments

1. I am so happy for you!!!! Congrats to you and your family. Can’t wait to see your belly grow :)

2. YAY! Can’t wait to compare fattyness with you. ♥
    Roo {NiceGirlNotes} recently posted..A Visit with Cozy of Cozy’s Cuts for Kids

3. Mrs. MidAtlantic
    Twitter: mrsmidatlantic
    says:

Congratulations on your happy, happy news!! I’m just a few weeks behind!
    Mrs. MidAtlantic recently posted..Feeling Positive

4. Lulu
    Twitter: CloutandAbout
    says:

Congratulations! Saw Tina’s post on Twitter and had to see what the good news was all about! Prayers for a healthy full term delivery! Blessings to you and your family :)
    Lulu recently posted..Juicy Deal: $5 for $10 Worth at 3 Bees Coffee House (San Mateo)

5. Brittany says:

God is so good. I’m sorry to hear you suffered a miscarriage, but am elated to hear that you’re pregnant again!! Praying your nausea subsides soon and that you can enjoy the rest of the pregnancy. Big hugs. :)

6. Jen
    Twitter: DearMommyBrain
    says:

Congratulations! Hope you are feeling better soon. :)
    Jen recently posted..And the winner is…

7. I’m so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. The same thing happened to me when we were trying to get pregnant with Mia. It’s a tough, tough thing there is no question! On happy note, I am so, so, so happy for you! Congratulations to you and your family!

8. Katy @ Dim Sum Debutante
    Twitter: dimsumdebutante
    says:

Congratulations, Lauren!! Harlan will be an amazing big sis! :)
    Katy @ Dim Sum Debutante recently posted..What’s the greatest thing about my apartment?

9. Carri
    Twitter: carribrown
    says:

Congratulations!!! I hope you feel better soon. :)
    Carri recently posted..The Money Pits

10. Patty @ A Day in My NYC
    Twitter: nycpatty
    says:

I have to say it here too….CONGRATULATIONS! Sending you many hugs, blessing and love for you & your little bean.
    Patty @ A Day in My NYC recently posted..Word-less Wednesday: Art Therapy & Flood Relief Telethon

11. cam says:

as i try not to cry here at work, i could not be happier for you my blogging friend. i wish you and your little one health. what a blessing. TRULY a blessing. Congratulations!
    cam recently posted..Rookie Parenting

12. Glamamom
    Twitter: glamamom

I’m so happy for you! That pic of Har is just too cute!! FEEL WELL!! xoxo
    Glamamom recently posted..SCHOOL DAZE

13. Jenny
    Twitter: bubsymomma
    says:

Congratulations…that is such amazing news! Hope you start to feel better soon!
    Jenny recently posted..My Magic Moment . . .

14. Congratulations!!! What a blessing indeed. I hope your morning sickness goes away soon. In the meantime, hang in there and take good care of yourself!
    Liz (ShorelineMommy) recently posted..Back to Work – Pondering a Life Change

15. Truthful Mommy
    Twitter: TruthfulMommy
    says:

I am so sorry that you had to suffer the miscarriage but am ecstatic that you are pregnant! You are such an amazing mother to Har and I know your heart will double and you will be doubly amazing with two. God is good my friend. Soon this morning sickness shall too pass and you will be basking in the glow of your pregnancy.Enjoy every single moment you have alone with Har because once there are two the quiet moments with just you and Har will give way to joyous chaos. Exhausting but blissful:) XO mama
    Truthful Mommy recently posted..Mommy Brain~ When Your Vagina gets the Fa-La-La-La-La-La-La-La-Lah

16. sharyn says:

Oh, this is wonderful! Best of luck. I usually wish women boring pregnancies but it sounds like that horse has already left the barn. Have you tried mangoes and papayas? I was told that they have some enzyme that battles nausea. I hate them so I couldn’t rely on them for either of my pregnancies, during which I was deathly ill almost every day, but I’ve heard they can be helpful, fresh or dried.
    sharyn recently posted..Remembering 9/11

17. elizabeth-flourishinprogress
    Twitter: noshoppingliz
    says:

Congrats to you and MacKay and Harlan!!!
    elizabeth-flourishinprogress recently posted..Monday Dare: I was raised by a pack of wolves

18. Wow!!! Congratulations! So happy for you and Harlan and MacKay. I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through a miscarriage, and even though you are sick this time, I’ve always heard that morning sickness is a sign of a healthy pregnancy!
    The Mommyologist recently posted..Kindergarten May Give Me The Shits

19. Carrie with Children
    Twitter: CarrieWChildren
    says:

YAY! I am so excited for you! Harlan is going to be a great big sister!
    Carrie with Children recently posted..Wordless Wednesday *Linky* – Check Out These Teeth!

20. Alison@Mama Wants This
    Twitter: MamaWantsThis
    says:

Congratulations, such exciting news!
    Alison@Mama Wants This recently posted..I’m Sorry

21. liz says:

Congratulations to you guys! March is an awesome birthday month, if I do say so myself. ;-)

What meds are you on? My magic combo was Reglan and Zofran.

Good luck with the pukies!
    liz recently posted..How We Do Things in Tennessee

22. Jessica
    Twitter: mytimeasmom
    says:

I’m so sorry to hear you had a miscarriage. Congratulations on this pregnancy and Harlan look so excited to be a big sister.
    Jessica recently posted..Meet Money and Pit

23. Yakini says:

Yaaay! That is great news! Congratulations, girly!!!

24. Mama and the City
    Twitter: mama_andthecity
    says:

That picture is just adorable. And congrats!
    Mama and the City recently posted..My baby is a bully

25. Loukia says:

SOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such wonderful news. Take care of you… rest when you can! xoxo

26. Mitch
    Twitter: gaynycdad

Mazel Tov!
    I can only say that saltines helped me through morning sickness!
    Mitch recently posted..Fashion Friday – Zutano Young Kids Clothes – Review and $50 Gift Card Giveaway!

27. Natalie
    Twitter: corp2domestic
    says:

That is so exciting! Congrats! I know Harlan will be a great big sister.
    Natalie recently posted..Planning and Pinterest–by Cajun Cowgirl at When in Doubt, Add More Salt

28. Elaine says:

I just love the smile on your little girl’s face! She’s going to make a wonderful big sister. :-)

Hope you start to feel better SOON!
    Elaine recently posted..Blogging Particulars: Comments & Replies

29. Alissa Holcomb
    Twitter: jandaholcomb
    says:

Lauren! Conrats! That is such great news. I also wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. I know and understand the indescribable pain and sadness of what could have been. Your baby is with mine in heaven….with Jesus. Praise God they will never know the pain and sin of the world but will forever be in the prescence of God…and reunited with is for all eternity! :) when you get a moment, check out the son, “Glory Baby” by Watermark. Its really great!

30. Alicia @MommyDelicious
    Twitter: MommyDelicious
    says:

This is amazing, AMAZING news Lauren. I am SO happy for you guys. Congratulations!!!! I know that losses can be very hard and I’m so sorry about that, but like you said, it’s another amazing blessing from God. God bless you guys.

PS. Morning sickness is the worse thing ever. I used to throw up everywhere and anywhere where I was preggers.
    Alicia @MommyDelicious recently posted..Texting While Drunk

31. Laura
    Twitter: meuninterrupted
    says:

I am just catching up after being away on my trip and saw this post. Congrats to you and your family!!!!! I hope the morning sickness subsides for you soon. I am so happy for you!
    Laura recently posted..I’m Back!

32. Karla T
    Twitter: BButtonBoutique
    says:

Congrats! Now you and Roo can be cute pregnant ladies together! So wonderful…